Re: [Orbit-python-list] IDLPATH handling

On Tue, 2001-10-09 at 01:43, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> If IDLPATH is set, what should ORBit-Python's default behaviour be? Should
> it override the default search path ( /usr/local/share/idl and
> /usr/share/idl and . ) and simply use the user-supplied IDLPATH or should
> it prepend?
>
> ATM it overrides, which causes me serious trouble. I would like to change
> the behaviour, but I don't know if it violates the spec or Tack's
> intention. Please let me know!

There is no spec on this matter, so we can basically do what we want.
IDLPATH is an O-P invention.

I'm not sure why you'd want it to prepend, so you'll have to argue your
case.  The way I see it, if IDLPATH is set, O-P should use that as it
is, and not monkey with it.  I don't think it should prepend what the
user wants with arbitrary values.  For example, the user simply may not
want o-p to look in /usr/local/share/idl, and the way he does this now
is to set an IDLPATH without this path in the variable.  If we prepended
certain paths as you suggest then we'd have to provide another way for
the user to accomplish this.  I think it has the potential to be one of
those hair-pulling subtleties that we should avoid.

But I'm open to arguments, of course. :)

Jason.