Re: ORBit-cpp & ORBit2 ...

Michael Meeks wrote:

	I'm wondering, as I bumble about inside ORBit2, how much work it
would be to integrate ORBit-cpp, and forward port it - and whether this
would be useful and or a good thing.

	Any ideas ?

		Michael.

I have been thinking about this for a few days. I am new to ORBit and CORBA, so I don't know how difficult this would be. I do think that it would be a good idea though.

There are several reasons for this.

1) From what I have seen so far most of the development using CORBA is done in either C++ or Java. Having a well supported, and well integrated set of C++ bindings would then make ORBit a more viable platform for Corporate use. The idea being that more developers is a good thing no matter what sector they are in.

2) I have also been looking through the mailinglist archives on http://www.gnome.org/ and have noticed that many of the questions posted by people who are not ORBit developers are in regards to either C++ or multithreading. If people want to develop with ORBit in C++ shouldn't we make it easier for them to do so?

3) I read recently that Matthias Ettrich suggested on the KDE devel list that DCOP be ported to CORBA using ORBit from libICE, which has several problems. Having a well integrated and well supported set of C++ bindings would be a show of good faith to the KDE developers. It would also possibly give them more incentive to try the port. Again the idea being that more developers and wider deployment would be a good thing. This perhaps makes good political sense.

4) By integrating ORBit2 with ORBit-C++ we get more people working on one codebase and have less duplication of effort. This is a definite win no matter how you look at it.

These are just the few reasons that I could come up with off the top of my head. I am sure that there are many more better reasons than I have given. It is my humble, not very well informed, and perhaps a little naive opinion that integrating ORBit-C++ into ORBit2 is a winning proposition, depending on how large of an undertaking that would be. Obviously it has to be worth someone's time to do it.

Just my two bits on the topic.

-Doug