ORBit strings - a cry for help

ok, people are probably gonna flame me for this, but I'm desperate,
so here goes:

I have a function in an IDL file that must return a string. The
IDL file looks like this:

interface bbs {

	string readMessage();

};

When I run the server, everything runs fine. Functions wich
return other values (short, etc) work fine. When the clien calls
that function, though, it receives the message, but the server
dies right away with an error:

(in file allocators.c) (ORBit_free) assertion
(block->magic == 0xdeadbeef)

And that's it. Now why the heck this happens? The strange part is,
I receive the message in the client with no problems. I have
tried static and dynamic initialization in the implementation,
but to no use.

Another problem I have is that the compiler complains a lot about
the file iiop-encoders, saying something like:

(in file iiop-encoders.h : 39) warning: pasting would not give a
valid preprocessing token

I'm not sure what this means or whether it's related to the string
problem or not. I have ORBit 0.5.8, built from sources.

If anyone has had a similar problem, knows a solution, or knows
a workaround, please tell me.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but hey, things happen.

=====
/\_____ \ /\  ____\	Jose Ventura de Medeiros Neto
\/____/ / \ \ \___/	Computer Science Student -USP
     / /   \ \  __\	( human being in spare time )
   /\______\ \ \______\ #define Question: (2B || !2B)
   \/______/  \/______/ 	- Shakespeare