Re: Client and server run by different users

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Rune Sætre wrote:

> I am writing an ORBit server that is to be accessible by several clients,
> both locally and on the network.
>
> Primarily the server will be accessed by clients on the local machine, but
> usually the clients will not be run by the same user as the server.
>
> But for some reason I cannot get the clients access the server if they are
> run by any other user than the server. Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is probably occurring because you don't have TCP/IP networking
enabled (blame gnome-list for this :), and the UNIX domain socket is only
accessable by the user that the server is running as.

Note, however, that ORBit-stable was not designed to handle valid access
from untrusted clients, and thus you will be opening some security holes
by enabling TCP/IP, especially without using any cookie protection.

-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.