Re: Orbit Performance Questions

Hi

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, anil kumar wrote:
> hello All,
>   I am new to ORBIT and CORBA,  right now i am looking at the
>   performance of ORBIT  so that i can use it for  Real Time
>   Software Development.We are also planning to  put
>   ORB code into Linux Kernel also if some performance issues
>   come(So we need Open Source ORB ).Some ORB i have found
>   from  Internet are ORBIT,MICO,TAO.
There already exist a Kernel implementation of CORBA. There was a
discussion on this list about that topic. (See korbit.sourceforge.net). Also
see http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net.

>        I have some  basic doubt how   communication takes
>   place when the client and server both are running on the same
>   machine.
>
>  a:  Whether the  data is converted  to the XDR format or not?
>  b:  What IPC mechanism ORBIT uses for communication?
I'm no expert on this. But I guess ORBit uses UDP sockets for
communication within the same system by default.

>  c:  How Communication takes place when the Client  and Server
>      both are running on different machine?
IIOP.

>  d:  Is Corba suited for Real Time Application or not?
>      I am also interested in orbit source code so that
>   if  some performance bottleneck is found then  optimisation
>   of code can be done. So , please let me know from which point i
>   should start  reading code.
If any of the previous disc. in this list are any indication ORBit2 is in
active stage of devel. compared to older versions. U r likely to get a
reply in these lines from others (after all of them are back from NY
Celebrations :-)

Sreeji