Re: foreign interface

Hi Frank,

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Frank Rehberger wrote:
> implementing the CORBA language binding for Mozart-OZ I discovered
> that all CORBA/ORbit-interfaces relay on the way, C stores its data
> types. Even if a script language stores abstract data-types in form of
> hastables, those have to be transformed to C-structures to do
> marshalling.

        My feeling is that you are trying to duplicate the orbit-small
functionality, and yet I can't understand quite why you want to.

> For this reason most script languages create their own interfaces,
> relaying on top of GIOP, as Python. If you have a look at those
> implementations, one can see that the difference to the
> ORBit-implementation is traversing foreign data-structures and
> converting foreign data to C. But beside that most of the code is
> duplicated.

        Well - at some stage, someone has to do the conversion - either to
a C like structure ( as for ORBit-small ) - but this is hardly _that_
tough, or to a CORBA_any and use DII / DSI ( using the standard DynamicAny
interface ).

        I really don't see what you're adding either in terms of
performance or complexity reduction.

        Can you explain some more ?