Re: ORBit2 ...

I did use "./configure --disable-nls --target=ppc-xcoff-lynxos" for
building the "gettext" libraries.   I'll probably wipe everything and try
from scratch from my notes
just to make sure I have everything documented to fix things up for the
cross_compile.

What I was refering to was the ORBit popt stuff.   It looks for "xgettext"
on the HOST... ignoring that it is doing a cross_compile.

But the xgettext command will obviously fail when you do a cross compile.

So, in the ORBit popt/  "configure.in" file.   I put the following:

if text X"$cross_compiling" = "Xyes" ; then
#   Add a directory for local cross compiled libraries.
     addlib  ../lib
else
    AC_MSG_CHECKING(for GNU xgettest)
    xgettext  -v 2>&1 | grep 'GNU gettext' >/dev/null  2>&1 ||
AC_MSG_ERROR([
*** GNU gettext is required.  The latest version
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/.])
    AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
fi
_____

Some additional notes;

           xgettext -v should be changed to:   xgettext -h   ( -v is an
invalid option )
           and the "grep" should search for ---> 'xgettext'  I checked on a
Solaris 2.6 (my cross compile host) and on Linux Mandrake 8
           machines, and did not see xgettext output anything that would
match 'GNU gettext'.

    The "addlib ../lib" line might be able to be moved up to the toplevel.
I just haven't looked at seriously doing that yet.

_________________________

The other problem I am trying to fix right now is that some of the strings
passed in from the compiler define directives are not feeding through as
strings.  Resulting in compile errors for some of the files.   I'm not sure
if this is a compiler problem or "shell" problem.  But the result is the
same...   The "Makefile.am" or configure.in will need to be adjusted.   I'm
assuming the Makefile.am first though.   I'm having trouble with "aclocal"
on our SUN (Solaris 2.6)  it is complaining about the macros
"AM_DISABLE_SHARED", AM_PROG_LIBTOOL", and AM_GNU_GETTEXT not found in
library.  So, I haven't managed to autogenerate new makefiles.  It may be
an interaction problem with using the cross_compiler.

(note: example is from gettext build but applies to ORBit also..)
The defines that are causing a problem are for example:    gcc
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/locale\"
I get errors in the code, and when I use -E to capture the preprocessing it
won't have quotes around the LOCALEDIR substitution.

Here is the actual gcc command:
gcc -c -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DLOCALE_ALIAS_PATH
=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DLIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I.. -I. -I../intl -g -O2 localcharset.c -o localcharset.o
localcharset.c: In function `get_charset_aliases':
localcharset.c(91) : error: parse error before `/'

Here is the code it is supposed to substitute:

#ifndef WIN32
      FILE *fp;
      const char *dir = LIBDIR;
      const char *base = "charset.alias";
      char *file_name;

Here is the fixed command line to correctly substitute the LIBDIR:
tao:747>gcc -v
Reading specs from
/rfs/apps/lynx/3.1.0/ppc//cdk/sunos-xcoff-ppc/usr/lib/gcc-lib/ppc-xcoff-lynxos/2.9-gnupro-98r2/specs

gcc version 2.9-gnupro-98r2
gcc -c -DLOCALEDIR='\"/usr/local/share/locale\"' -DLOCALE_ALIAS_PATH='
\"/usr/local/share/locale\"' -DLIBDIR='\"/usr/local/lib\"' -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I.. -I. -I../intl -g -O2 localcharset.c -o localcharset.o

(note: The single quote's added around the strings.)

-Dave

Michael Meeks <michael@ximian.com> on 08/13/2001 04:22:04 PM

> onto LynxOS.  I'm stuck with the "gettext" stuff.  I haven't quite
> figured out how to get gettext to configure for a target nicely.
> (I'll chalk up some of the trouble to my inexperience in customizing
> the Autoconf stuff)

     you should be able to configure with --disable-nls which should
disable gettext - which is a structure to help with internationalization -
and is probably irrelevant in your context.

     HTH,