root X window IOR was a bad idea (IMHO)

Hi,

I have a problem with gnome software that uses Corba and as far as I can see there is no solution!

I wish to set up an applications server and export the display to a remote X server.
The remote X server is running gnome and corba already and has a IOR tag in its root window properties.
I *do not* want to enable corba over TCP via /etc/orbitrc.
I *do not* want to use the local corba server for the remote applications.

(besides, if I do, it doesn't work any way. Try configuring sawmill remotely using gnomecc exported to a local display. Madness!)

What I want is to use my local window manager and local X (and maybe local session management, although thats not a necessity though the ICE communications could be used to check dead applications).
I dont want local Corba or remote window manager.

So is there some way of setting up a fully remote environment, but export the display to a local machine. That is, the name-service DOES NOT get the IOR tag from the Xserver. My personal opinion is that putting the IOR tag in the X root window properties and then fetching it from there was a very bad design decision. Corba!=X so you shouldn't tie them together like that. Its okay putting the IOR there, as long as the name-service has the option of getting it elsewere or ignoring it, or having it specified or something... anyhting. How about an environment value to override it (or a . file like .Xauthority, .ICEauthority)

So how can this be done. How can I run a name-service on a remote machine using its own local corba scope and export the display at the same time. I've been led to believe oaf is a possibility, but the documentation on oaf is basically nil. (as is the docs on gnome-smproxy, panel... etc.) In fact the gnome docs are pretty scant in general.

If anyone can offer any possibilities I would be very grateful, as I love the gnome software, but if this cant be done I will be forced against my will to use kde or other non gnome stuff (heaven forbid :)

Thanks for everyones good work.

Crispin
crispin@iinet.net.au