Re: Orbit's temp. directory

On 11/13/00, 12:04:24 PM, Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com> wrote regarding
Re: Orbit's temp. directory:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Johnston wrote:
> > Why aren't the orbit directories in /tmp removed when Orbit shuts down?
> > Is the cookie intended to be persistent across Orbit sessions?

> . The cookie file is created by gnome, not ORBit. It usually stays around
> there "just because".
> . The orb-* UNIX socket connection points are usually removed by
> ORBit when the application exits, but may be left around if the
> application crashes or is killed.
> . The /tmp/orbit-username directory itself doesn't get removed because
> multiple programs and libraries can be using the one directory.

Thanks.

Since you mentioned application crashes, I have a related question.  I
have had problems with my X server locking up or crashing from time to
time.  When it goes down, some X applications seem to stay up.  A ps
listing shows that their parent is init instead of the X session.  I'm
curious: when X comes back up, is there a way to reconnect to these "lost
children?"

-David