Java + ORBit

I'm attempting to write a Java client to communicate with a server
written in C, using ORBit. I beleive I have used the -IIOPIPV4=1 option
correctly, and it ought to be able to connect, but still the Java client
just throws COMM_FAILURE exceptions.

The ORBit server is running on Linux, and the Java client on WinNT4.
There doesn't appear to be a network problem, so I suspect a
configuration problem. I'm copying the stringified object reference from
the Linux box to the NT machine, as I haven't gotten around to setting
up the name service.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for getting this to work?