Re: CORBA_long_double type

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Sam Couter wrote:

> I tried changing the typedef for CORBA_long_double to "long double" (I would
> have used glib's gldouble if it had been defined) and rebuilding ORBit, but
> now if I try to send CORBA_long_double arguments I get garbage.

> Can anyone help me make CORBA_long_double a distinct type from CORBA_double?

The problem is that 'long double' is totally undefined. On my Alpha box,
it is the same size as a 'double'. On my x86 box, it is 12 bytes compared
to 8 for a double. The CORBA spec seems to want it to be 16 bytes long.

I am not sure if the ORBit IDL compiler even handles 'long double'
properly... I would recommend avoiding it altogether if possible - it
seems it is too much of a problem to actually implement...

-- Elliot
[ "In a democracy, the government is the people," Milo explained. "We're people,
aren't we? So we might just as well keep the money and eliminate the middleman." ]
							- Catch-22