Shortened IORs?

Greetings!

We're using ORBit for some internal projects here.  We have been
developping these applications using Mandrake 7.1, but recently, we
tried running the apps on a Debian Woody box and on a Mandrake 7.2
box.  Both of these machines cause our app to generate a bad IOR which
is shorter than a normal one.  When we run this through parseIOR, we
get "invalid object ref" as an error.  We have tried changing versions
of ORBit on these boxes, but had no success.  The versions of ORBit
we've tried are:

0.5.4
0.5.2
0.5.1

All of them do the same thing.  Question is: What would cause this,
and what can I do to further diagnose the problem?