Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
> > > as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
>     ^^^^^^^^
> > > UNIX.
> >
> > Oh they are definitely unix people, but ORBit is about solving a very
> > different sort of problem to scribbling bits on a disk, or it was until very
> > crazy people got involved
>
> <shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
> religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
> process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
> had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.
Corba is more or less a "Next generation pipe".
In pipes informations flow from on process to another.
With Corba we have full-blown two way communication, sharing almost
everything you want.
Your word processor can get a chart from a spreadsheet everywhere not
only on your own host, but anywhere on the net. That's just an example.

Another example. Take gnome applets. Every applet is a different
process. The panel comunicates with applets throught corba that IS
better than pipes.