Re: Controlling NetworkManager...

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 14:23 -0400, Ey Ez wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a way to send direct commands to Network Manager to say, for
> example, connect to a specific wireless network? I want to create a
> script that will tell NM to connect to a specific AP with the
> encryption keys...

You'll likely want to use dbus-send and use:

method call: setActiveDevice
object path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/<interface>
interface: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
arguments:
1: string, ESSID

next is the AP's security information, which can take many forms based
on the AP's configuration.  For example, security info for WEP is:

1: cipher type, in this case either IW_AUTH_CIPHER_WEP40 or
IW_AUTH_CIPHER_WEP104
2: string, WEP key in ascii-fied hex
3: INT32, auth algorithm (open system or shared key)

WPA options are even more complicated.  But, it's entirely possible to
tell NM to do what you want given the right set of options through dbus.