Re: Question on NetworkManager

Hello ;-) wrote:
Hello all,

I been trying to understand how NetworkManager work. Here are my status on my laptop. Running FC4

Kernel - 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4
NetworkManager ----NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.4
NetworkManager-gnome-0.5.1-1.FC4.4
I did iwconfig and got this.

eth1 radio off ESSID:off/any Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate=0 kb/s Tx-Power=off
Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:179 MisItsed beacon:0

This looks good. The driver seems to be working ok.

When I right click on it I see "Wireless Enable" and it's checked.
Not sure about this. Is your wireless card enabled?

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? From reading things around the board I should be seeing bars not a cord... one thing though I have my cat 5 cable plug in right now I don't know if that makes a difference. Once I disconnect the cat 5 cable it's gets crossed out.
Unplug the wired connection. Click the NetworkManager icon and select Create New Wireless Network. Enter the details for your
Access Point. All being well it should connect.

Plug the wired connection back in to swap back to it. Simple.

Have fun.

Rob