Re: madwifi wpa NetworkManager?

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 00:21 -0600, Eli Criffield wrote:
> I'm trying to get madwifi to work with wpa and NetworkManager.
> I'm using wpa_supplicant, madwifi-ng, libnl, NetworkManager, all from
> cvs (or svn) as of today (march 9th 2006), and ieee80211 vs 1.1.12.
>
> I also applyed this patch
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2006-February/msg00005.html
> to madwifi-ng
>
> The problem seems to be in madwifi-ng driver.
> I get these errors from NetworkManager
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported

Since madwifi-ng's WEXT support really sucks, you probably want
to use the 'madwifi' wpa_supplicant driver, which requires a patch to
NetworkManager.  NM doesn't include this patch right because it's a
point of debate, both among all of us, and myself personally.  We need
to push madwifi-ng to support WEXT correctly since that's the Linux
standard for wireless drivers, but until they do, NM is unlikely to work
very well with madwifi-ng here...

Robert posted a patch a bit ago in the email titled "wireless driver
workarounds" from Friday, March 3rd, around 10:30am EST.  Try the patch
in the initial email in that thread and see if that helps.