Re: WPA status 2006-01-08

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 10:55 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 16:48 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > *) Your driver probably doesn't support WPA quite enough; you'll need a
> > driver that does WEXT-18 or higher.  This means that it needs to set the
> > enc_capa bits on return from the SIOCGIWRANGE call, which only hostap
> > seems to do right now.
>
> So ... should we need these updates to use WPA, or for the driver to
> work at all?
>
> I get errors about SIOCSIWAUTH not supported.

Note that while wpa_supplicant supports using driver-specific methods
for WPA and other settings, we want to push all drivers towards
conforming to the WEXT spec on this one.  That means support for
SIOCSIWAUTH and SIOCSIWENCODEEXT.  We _may_ have to allow
driver-specific support in the mean time, but I'd rather not do that if
at all possible.  (for instance, atmel doesn't seem to work right now
for normal WEP)