Re: autoip config option?

Hi,

before any comments, some questions from a not-so-well-informed-one:
- For which scenarios assigns nm an auto-ip?
- Where is auto-ip useful?
- is it possible to differentiate between an AP and a Adhoc-net?

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 19:43, Tim Niemueller wrote:

> To summarize:
> - Maybe option to turn AutoIP off, maybe a hidden GConf key

IMHO is auto-ip not necessary for connections with an AP, as it is
(mostly) used for "real" networks with its own topology. auto-ip would be
good in ad-hoc networks, when a friend is nearby and you want just share
some data. If this is not the scenario in NM, I would like to be able to
turn auto-ip off on a per-network basis.

How can the peers be described and what is signal-strength then, when
connected to an adhoc network? Is it usefull to show the bars then?

> - Have a visual indication for AutoIP being used.

[x] Yes

In my reasoning, there is no real connection when on auto-ip, so why show
the bars? Otherwise it should be marked as a special case, as I'm not
able to connect to an known peer.

Nikolaus