NetworkManager on ubuntu Dapper?

Has anyone else had problems with NetworkManager on Ubuntu Dapper?

I figured I'd take a look at it, but it doesn't seem to be cooperating.

This is a fresh, updated install of Ubuntu. I installed the NetworkManager
package, its requirements, and the nm-applet package. NetworkManager doesn't
see my wired connection. As for the wireless connections, it doesn't appear to
set a WEP key on the cards. I'm not clear on whether it even associates. It
looks like it does (on networks without WEP), but it never manages to get an
IP.

It does, however, nuke my existing route on the wired connection, so I guess
it's doing something.

Is there some way I can debug this, to get a clearer picture of what's going
on?

Thanks.