WPA and madwifi

I've looked through the list archives, but I'm not quite sure what I'm
supposed to do to get these two working together.  I'm using the latest
Fedora rawhide NetworkManager with the latest madwifi-ng.  If I try to
connect to a WPA network (Linksys WRT54G set for WPA2 and TKIP+AES),
nm-applet tells me:

  Error connecting to wireless network

  The requested wireless network requires security capabilities
  unsupported by your hardware.

I couldn't tell for sure: am I supposed to start wpa_supplicant myself
or does NetworkManager do it?

I can successfully disable NetworkManager, manually configure
wpa_supplicant, and bring up the interface, so I do know that madwifi-ng
and wpa_supplicant are working.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it not quite working?  If it isn't
working, what can I do to help get it working?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>