orinoco vs hostap

I'm still experimenting with NetworkManager (it has been a rather spotty
effort as I am moving this month) and have noticed a curiosity that
doesn't seem to have drawn any other comments when I search the list
archives.

I've got an IBM T-21 laptop with a Netgear MA401RA card.
2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 is used. While this card works with the orinoco
drivers, I've found I get much better results with the hostap drivers.

However, I've noticed that NetworkManager seems to use the orinoco
modules. NM seems to ignore any settings that I've configured in the
system-config-network. Is there a way to force NM to use the hostap
modules? I'm not sure I understand where NM picks up the network
configuration it uses. Any comments or help?

- Mitch