Gnome panel icon disappears

I'm not sure this is a well-defined issue, but here's what happened.
Having installed the Network manager, I decided to clean up my panel and
delete an applet neighboring the NM icon in the gnome panel.  As soon as
I cliked on 'Remove from menu', *both* icons disappeared.  Restart of
NetworkManagerInfo, log out/log in, reboot, restart of network services
and NetworkManager services specifically have all failed to re-display
the panel icon.  Thus I can't access the NM interface.  I'm running an
up-to-date FC4 and the standard FC4 NM which I know isn't the latest
version.

Boris