NetworkManager HOW?

Hi,

I have compiled NetworkManager on a LinuxFromScratch system.  I have afew questions.

1. I run dbus-daemon --session as root, so dbus is running, but do I need to be running dbus-daemon --system ?

2. running /usr/local/bin/NetworkManager doesn't do anything.  Do I need to have a GnomePanel running for the program, or can it run stand alone.

Everything compiled cleanly, as far as I can tell all of NetworkManager was installed.

TIA.
jon.