Re: Elmer's

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:12:10AM -0600, Tony Murray wrote:
> >Think leaving the computer at home knowing you will connect to it from
> >work. Before you leave you log in to establish a network connection.
> >During your trip, there is a micro outage of power, the computer reboots
> >without any problem, but as noone is logged in any more, the sshd is not
> >accessible. This is a problem introduced by NetworkManager and its
> >concept of setting the network up only when someone is logged in front of
> >the computer.
> >
> The simple solution to this is start the NetworkManager daemon on boot
> and have the init scripts initially bring(or try to bring) up a network
> interface.
>
> dbus-send?
>
> Just my simple view from the outside ;)

Well, a shell script would still need the WEP keys for the network, and
it can't fetch it from the users' directories as they are encrypted into
gnome-keyring. Therefore, it would need to maintain a separate database
of available networks and, at this point, my patch is the simpler way to
go...

By the way, no comment on my proposed patch ? I have put a binary of
NetworkManager on my web page (http://tudia.nerim.net/nm) , for those who
want to try it without compiling it. It is now running on my laptop, and
it is a real pleasure to not have to wait 20 seconds after log in to have
the network up and running !

Regards,

	Éric Brunet