Re: CVS (STABLE_0_3) works for Madwifi/Atheros, but starts too late

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 12:34 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Any chance you could tag a 0.3.5 release and push an update out to FC3?  (Not
> that it matters to me; I built my own from the CVS code, but others might want
> it).

Yay :)  I'll check out stability on my FC3 laptop and investigate.

> Nice work.  It's nice to have this all working now.  My only real comment:  It
> would be nice to get NetworkManager (and hal, and dbus) all started much
> earlier in the boot sequence.  As it is right now I've got a number of
> boot-time services that fail to start because the network isn't there during
> boot time.  In particular, ntpd fails to start properly without network (as
> does mit-zephyr's zhm, but you probably don't care about that).

Yes, this is a tough nut to crack.  #1, dbus, hal, and NM are on /usr by
default.  This means that they cannot start until /usr is mounted, which
on Fedora Core is not until the 2nd quarter of the boot process.
Otherwise, the boot process totally fails for people with network
mounted /usr directories (ie, you need the network up before you can
mount /usr, but NM is on /usr, so you're screwed).

Part of the problem with this is that NetworkManager uses glib, which
means that if NM is in /bin, then glib has to be moved to /lib, etc.
Since our init systems on Linux suck in general, this isn't really easy
to fix without changing a lot of stuff.

If you like, you could modify the /etc/rc.d/init.d start scripts for NM,
HAL, and dbus to start earlier, around the 6 - 8 range.  You'll see
stuff like this:

# chkconfig: - 98 02

Change that to:

NetworkManager:# chkconfig: - 08 92
haldaemon:# chkconfig: - 07 93
messagebus:# chkconfig: - 06 94

Then run:
/sbin/chkconfig --del messagebus
/sbin/chkconfig --del haldaemon
/sbin/chkconfig --del NetworkManager
/sbin/chkconfig --add messagebus
/sbin/chkconfig --add haldaemon
/sbin/chkconfig --add NetworkManager
/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager on

and reboot.  This deletes the startup links, recreates them at their new
priorities, and reenables NetworkManager (which isn't set to start by
default).