Re: Slight flame at NM

On Sat 26 Mar 2005 16:54, you wrote:

> using orinoco-cvs (http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/)
> you can happily use your orinoco card with NetworkManager.

I should confess that my interest in NM does not extend
to compiling non-kernel sources.
(I would happily apply any patches appearing at www.kernel.org .)

Basically, I would like to use NM if it worked without problem;
but I already have a WiFi connection working perfectly
(with the kernel orinoco_cs module)
and I wouldn't like to endanger that.

What you are saying in effect is that there are drivers
which work with the Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card,
and which support scanning.

That doesn't really answer my complaint,
which was that one should be told
that there is a simple test to tell if card + driver
is likely to work with NM (namely "iwlist <interface> scanning").

And the NM program must know that the card cannot scan,
so why does it not just exit gracefully with an appropriate message?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366