Re: Handling of suspend/resume

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> I've been playing around with swsusp2 and I have noticed that
> NetworkManager doesn't work as nice as one could hope. After a resume
> NetworkManager still believes that it is connected just fine. It doesn't
> even notice that the cable isn't connected anymore.
>
> What would be needed is some way of telling NetworkManager to reevaluate
> the situation. Perhaps there even is something that it can trigger on
> automatically. Any ideas?

David Zeuthen (the HAL guy) and I were talking about this friday, and we decided
that HAL should broadcast a signal when the machine wakes up.  Since there's all
sort of ACPI/APM stuff going into HAL right now, it kind of makes sense.
However, that's HAL 0.5, and for the stable branch, we need some other mechanism
to be able to restart the network.

Right now we basically need to tell NetworkManager to throw away all devices,
re-read them from HAL, and start everything over.  The user may/may not have
plugged in other cards during suspend, they may have moved physical locations,
they may have plugged/unplugged the cable, so we might as well start from
scratch.

So, my question is:  how can we get notification (not through HAL) of a
unsuspend event?