Re: debian set_ip4_config_from_resolv_conf patch

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 21:27 +0100, Thom May wrote:
> Hi;
> this patch adds set_ip4_config... to the Debian backend.
> Cheers,
> -Thom

Applied, thanks.

However, I see that the Debian code and the SUSE code both grab settings
from /etc/resolv.conf.  This will most likely not work.  The Red Hat
backend checks the currently enabled network profile, as set from
system-config-network, and uses that profile's nameservers.  Debian and
SUSE should do the same, with their idea of network profiles or some
other mechanism.

The problem is this, in the current Debian and SUSE code:  NM will
read /etc/resolv.conf, and then blow it away and write 127.0.0.1 to it,
if you're using the caching-nameserver configuration.  Next time you
boot, your /etc/resolv.conf will be 127.0.0.1 and you're screwed.

In the non-caching-nameserver situation, its a bit different.  NM will
read /etc/resolv.conf, blow it away, and write it back out.  This should
more or less work.

But we really should be pulling the nameservers from system config
files, rather than /etc/resolv.conf.  Where do Debian and SUSE store
this information for network config?  If they actually store it
in /etc/resolv.conf (which can be overwritten by VPN clients, PPP
daemons, pretty much anything) then the distro has a problem...