Re: Initial version of a SuSE backend

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Kay Sievers wrote:

> Hi,
> here is a first rough cut on a SuSE backend for NetworkManager. I got it
> running and it can successfully change over from wired to wireless. :)
> It's only a one night hack, so don't expect too much.

Great!  Will apply shortly.

> (The currently SuSE shipped D-BUS, can't authorize the on_console user.
> So if anyone wants to try this, the policy-file needs to be to adapted.
> We will add the missing stuff to D-BUS soon.)
>
> Btw: NM seems to read the config files for static setups, but static
> configurations are not supported until now, or do I miss something?

Correct, static configs have been supported for a while, but of course depend on
reading the system's config files since NM doesn't have a configuration applet
(which arguably it should not).  Therefore, the user uses the normal system
tools to configure static IP addresses, and NetworkManager picks those settings
up from the config files.  Backends should implement this functionality if they
wish to support static IP.