Re: Scanning with wireless

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 18:16 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 16:40 -0500, Steev wrote:
> > Hey all, I have a Netgear MA101 usb wifi device.  If I specify a network
> > name, the connection sets itself up quite fine, however, I get the
> > following warning if I run NetworkManager --no-daemon
> >
> > NetworkManager: <WARNING>         (): Warning: the wireless card (wlan0)
> > requires too much time for scans.  Its driver needs to be fixed.
>
> Make sure that your iwlib.c for wireless-tools has a scan timeout of 15
> seconds (which is the 150 here):

If your card really, really does use more than 15 seconds for scanning,
something is wrong with it and you need to throw it in the trash...
250ms * 12 channels is what, 3 seconds?  If you support 802.11a then you
add maybe another 3 seconds.  So if it's still not returning scan
results after 15 seconds there's something wrong with either the card,
or the driver.  It should still be succeeding even if there are no
access points available in the area.