Re: [patch] redo tray icon, take two

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 17:12 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Here is Aaron Bockover's tray icon redo, this time highlighting the menu
> item like before, as you wanted.
>
> Quoted from my previous email:
>
>                 So...the NetworkManager tray icon is a bit weird, as it
>                 packs a top menu bar into the tray.  Not sure why that
>                 route was chosen, unless someone wanted to pack a
>                 container into an event box, which you cannot do.  The
>                 problem with packing the menu bar into the tray is that
>                 many themes draw gradients or other details under menu
>                 bars.  Thus, the icon looks funny. Also, the packed menu
>                 bar takes up a lot of room, leaving a weird couple
>                 pixels of spacing on either side of the icon.
>
>                 Instead, "applet->pixmap" is packed into
>                 "applet->event_box", which is packed into
>                 "applet->icon_box", which is packed into the top of the
>                 tray.  Looks and acts more natural.
>
> May I commit?

Can you post some screenshots of themes that look wierd here?  One issue
I have with the current v2 patch is that the highlight doesn't highlight
the entire thing, just the icon.  The progress bar doesn't get
highlighted.  Maybe that's intentional, not sure.  The highlight is also
restricted to the icon's area, which makes the highlight and therefore
the feedback somewhat small.

In any case, the original idea here was that since NM _is_ a menu, it
should behave like one...

Dan

PS - sorry to nitpick, but I'm trying to get somewhat of the original
behavior here.  i.e. let's simulate the highlight _area_ of a menu
without actually having one.  Sorry if I was unclear before.