renamed interfaces?

I have NetworkManager-0.4-18.FC4 on Fedora FC4.  I usually use the Fedora
profiles to switch manually between wired at work, and wireless at home,
but it would be nice have this be automatic.

Last night I tried NetworkManager (again).  I doesn't seem to work in my
home environment (wireless).  One thing really weird.  As you can see:

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 driverloader

wireless normally is eth1, wired is eth0.  But when I started NetworkManger,
it looks like the wireless was assigned eth0.  What's going on?