Re: [patch] make "Wired" option a radio

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:34:53 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 10:56 -0400, Jason Mellein wrote:
>> if i have 2 network adapters why wouldn't i be able to use both of them
>> at the same time? windows boxes allow it.
>
> NetworkManager doesn't have the infrastructure to do this right now
> either.  The target use-case for NetworkManager right now is for laptop
> users who are fairly mobile.
>
> It's a bit hard to imagine a use-case for multiple active network adapters
> in this context, _unless_ you are using some sort of "Internet Connection
> Sharing".  The plan is to have NM support ICS at some near-future point.
> But beyond that in the normal desktop use-case, I'm not sure there's a
> compelling reason to allow multiple active networks right now.

Hi Dan,

Can we have then a list of network adapters that NM will ignore ?
This way, we can set those adapters however we want (static, dhcp, you
name it) and NM will not interfere with them.
The identification of net adapters should be based on BIA (it's MAC
address), and can be a gconf option as this is for more advanced users.
I do have a laptop, and I use NM on it, but occasionally I need to set up
a secondary wired network (or even the third one).

Thanks,
Paul