authentication types

The Cisco recommendation on security types is fairly representative.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/confwep.html
_____________________
*Accept Authentication Types*

Select the / *Open* / option, the / *Shared Key* / option, or both, to set the authentications the Access Point will recognize.

*Open (RECOMMENDED)*

This default setting allows any device, regardless of its WEP keys, to authenticate and attempt to associate.

*Shared Key*

This setting tells the Access Point to send a plain-text, Shared Key query to any device attempting to associate with the Access Point. This query can leave the Access Point open to a known-text attack from intruders. Therefore, it is not as secure as the Open setting.

Note that a WEP key can be used with both Open and Shared Key authentication. It is a separate issue.

It is my impression that AP admins are moving away from Shared Key authentication but I don't have statistics to support this statement. NM first attempts to associate with Shared Key authentication and then it trys Open System authentication. On my campus, the Shared Key authentication test takes about 11 seconds before failing over to the Open System test. If the industry is moving away from Shared Key authentication, shouldn't NM test for Open System first and Shared Key second?

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences