Re: named support now requires passing --with-named

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 13:18 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:08 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just committed code which defaults to writing resolv.conf directly
> > unless --with-named is passed.
> >
> > The support is most useful for two reasons:
> >
> > 1) It avoids issues with applications (i.e. glibc) not noticing changes
> >    to resolv.conf.
> > 2) Longer term when NetworkManager gets VPN support, you can tell
> >    NetworkManager to use e.g. my corporate nameserver only for resolving
> >    mycompany.com, and the default nameservers for everything else.  This
> >    is not possible using resolv.conf.
>
> Oh, and:
>
> 3) Often people want to run a caching nameserver for exactly that -
>    caching.  Previously you couldn't do that when using
>    NetworkManager.  It seems sane to me to just have caching on, all
>    of the time, and Just Work, rather than something you have to futz
>    with to manually enable.

Will it flush the cache when the subnet changes?  There are many
situations where the same name resolves to different addresses depending
on where you are (at work or at home, for example).  If the cache isn't
flushed, the old address (say a 192.168 internal address) might not be
reachable.  This happened to me all the time before I stopped running
name service caching...

Daniel