Re: Ethereal comparison 1.265 vs 1.270 DHCP Discover

I think older hardware may reject messages that are too short. The UDP part of the message contains a BOOTP section of options and there was a time when BOOTP messages had a minimize size of 300 bytes. If this is what the SMC is doing, the a message with a UDP part of 297 bytes will not pass muster. This is just a guess. I suppose you can pad the message one byte at a time and see where the boundary is. I am betting on 300 or 312.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences