Re: CVS-2-2 NMApplet empty bar explained

Take a look at the next message I sent about patching the NM nm_wireless_qual_to_percent function. If a driver does not report max_qual->level and max->qual->noise, make some good guess. The physical lower limit for what a card can do is about -96 dBm. The upper limit varies but is always less than -10 dBm. For the ipw2200, -20 dBm is about right. Percentage is at best a rough indicator and does not directly relate to a physical quantity so I don't think it matters that much to get it "exactly right". If the driver does not specify max_qual->level and max->qual->noise, how about setting

max_qual->level to 221 (-35 dBm)
max_qual->noise to 161 (-95 dBm)

and use a linear model for percentage like the one I put in the patch message. The 70 coefficient may need some adjustment for these values guessed values.

The CLAMP function will take care of any overshoot.