Re: CVS-2-2 NMApplet signal bar

the signal bar is working for me (atheros abg, madwifi), and the % value
gets updated
with every scan cycle - which still leaves me disconnected for about 18s
with every AP scan!

since CVS-1-31 NM seems to use values for  "Link Quality=x/y" (as in
seen iwconfig), and NM computes a percentage signal strength as x / y *
100 (at least for me). earlier NM versions had ln x / ln y * 100. both
methods seem to be used in applets (eg, gwlan uses the logarithmic
method). now, being close my AP, gwlan reports 90%, while NM says 60%. i
understand the drivers also use different algorithms to come up with the
signal/link quality numbers. i would be very grateful if somebody
(Bill?) could explain to me (off the list is fine) where these numbers
come from (signal - noise?, power?) and what they signify. and
ultimately, what a "correct" way of getting a % from these is. again,
it's probably driver specific, but i would be happy to have an answer
for a specific example (eg, ipw2200). for my card and driver, the x in
iwconfig's Link Quality seems to be just Noise Level - Signal Level.

Sven