network switching issue

I tried out NetworkManager for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The
idea is pretty neat but I've got an instability issue that makes it
unusable. In looking for similar problems I noted one other question on
the list but it seemed to have no follow-up.

I use my laptop at both home and work. Home is primarily wireless with
192.168.x IP's. Work is a wired network with 10.10.x IP's. The issue
arises when I put the laptop in ACPI suspend mode at home and carry it
to work where I plug it in to that network. On opening the lid, NM sees
there is a new network and switches correctly, but the display on the
LCD splits. The far left edge of the screen shows up mid-LCD and the
remaining far right of the display is shown on the left of the LCD. This
split "adjusts" a couple of times during the NM negotiations, but never
returns to a correct display.

Maybe half or two-thirds of the time, logging out of the X session and
logging back on will fix the display, but not always. Sometimes a full
reboot is required. There also seems to be an unpredictable instability
when NM is used, but I haven't put my finger on a pattern. Sometimes the
laptop will completely freeze.

The laptop is an IBM T-21 running FC4. This is a relatively recently
fresh install. Wireless card is a Netgear MA401 using the hostap module
and a 128 bit WEP key. The "old fashion" method of using and switching
networks with system-config-network and profiles works fine and is rock
solid. It's just not automatic.

As noted, I consider NetworkManager too dicey to use in my particular
situation. I was a bit surprised to not see any similar reports other
than the one unanswered one, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough or
far enough back.

Any hints on this or when the next version might be coming out?

- Mitch