Selecting network 2ce causes hang...

Running FC4 with all the latest software and drivers.
Everything runs smoothly on bootup and it finds,
configures and connects to my wifi network seemlessy.
However, when I select the currently running network
from the applet it tries to reconnect, giving the
following error:

NetworkManager: <WARNING>       ():
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.BadNetworkData
raised 'NetworkManagerInfo::getNetworkProperties could
not access essid for network 'networks''

and the applet goes in to scanning mode continuously,
locking up the network.

Why would it fail finding the all the network info
(essid,key...etc.etc.) and connecting the second time
when it did everything correctly the first time???

thanks