NM + Madwifi -- wont associate?

Dan,

Any suggestions for getting NM to work with my Atheros/Madwifi card?
Every time I try NM fails to see the AP Association and therefore
fails to initiate DHCP.  Is there anything else I can do to help
you debug this?

NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3
wireless-tools-27-1.2.0.fc3
dbus-0.22-10.FC3.2
hal-0.4.7-1.FC3

ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
ath_hal: 0.9.14.9 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413)
wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)
ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
ath_pci: 0.9.4.12 (EXPERIMENTAL)

TIA,

-derek
       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available