NM brings up eth0 even if no wired connection available

Hi,

I'm having a problem with NM:  Even though my computer is not connected
to an ethernet cable (and my wired interface, eth0, is set NOT to start
at boot), NM brings up eth0 automatically.  This, of course, screws-up
my wireless connection.

I'm running NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3, a custom 2.6.10 kernel, and
Fedora Core 3 on a Compal CL56 laptop.

Any idea how to fix this issue?  Let me know if additional info would be
helpful.

Thanks,
Marc