Re: Problem in Ubuntu

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 21:24 -0500, Brad Griffith wrote:
> I can only get NetworkManager to run properly if I run it as root (with
> sudo NetworkManager and then sudo NetworkManagerInfo).  How can I fix
> this so that NetworkManager just starts when a user logs in?  Thanks for
> the help.  NetworkManager, even not set up correctly, has made using
> GNOME on a laptop so much easier already.

Brad,

NetworkManager must be run as root since it needs to control network
devices.  NetworkManagerInfo should be session-managed now, so it will
restart when you log back in.

The NetworkManager stack should work like this:

1) NetworkManager gets started as a service at system boot time
2) NetworkManagerInfo gets started (by the session-manager) when a user
logs in
3) NetworkManagerInfo will exit after 10s and now respawn itself if
NetworkManager is not running, and the notification icon will disappear