Re: NetworkManager forcing nscd startup

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:40 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> This is by design.  There is no way to notify user-space applications
> that /etc/resolv.conf has changed unless you restart nscd.  Otherwise,
> Mozilla for instance will sit there for 20s waiting for DNS to time out.
> I proposed changes to libc (where the DNS resolver lives) and was shot
> down because stat()-ing /etc/resolv.conf every so often was not
> something the maintainer wanted to do.

I'm not sure if this is clear, but in my case nscd never was started
(until I started NetworkManager).  But if it's required to run, that's
OK by me.

However, the current code:

=====
  if(nm_spawn_process ("/etc/init.d/nscd status"))
       nm_spawn_process ("/etc/init.d/nscd restart");
=====

will only restart nscd if it's *not* running (since status otherwise
returns 0), and I'm not sure this was the intention.

--
Ziga