Re: NetworkManager debs + dhcp

NM will use either dhcp or static configuration for a given device, with
the basis for that decision coming from the distribution's network
configuration.

For example in the Gentoo backend, a variable is parsed, and if it is
equal to 'dhcp' NM will only do dhcp for that interface. If 'dhcp' is
not found, then the line is parsed to get the static configuration,
which NM can apply directly.

The nature of a static configuration makes an assumption that the given
NIC will only be used at locations where the static configuration will
work. If that assumption is not true, then clearly the user must be
using another form of configuration for the device.

Since NM doesn't actually have config files it is necessary for there to
be some way to determine a user's preference with no user interaction.
The plan down the road may allow applying new static configuration
settings through an incarnation of NetworkManagerInfo, but that would
function on a per-user basis, and not affect an overall system default.

As for dhclient never getting called, that could be altogether likely.
All but the RedHat backends were just stubs added by Dan, since he uses
RedHat. I know someone has been contributing to the Debian backend, and
I have been contributing to the Gentoo backend.

Play with the code on your side, and if success is good, send a patch to
the list. My first hack on the code was just to force use_dhcp to be
always true to I could at least get some success. Need to start off
somewhere :)

Robert