Re: 40-Bit Keys

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 20:31 +0100, j bootlab org wrote:
> my problem now is that i have a 40-Bit Key.
> attached patch enables 40-Bit Passphrase,
> nm_wireless_40bit_key_from_passphrase is not working,
> does someone know how to compute the 40bit key?

AFAIK, the 40bit passphrase->key hashing is very different from 128/104
bit hashing.  I dont' think its based on MD5, and there are a couple
different forms used by different manufacturers...  The two programs
that seem to do some form of 40-bit passphrase->key hashing are xwepgen
and nwepgen which both use an algorithm developed by Neesus Datacom.

We could add that algorithm, but there really isn't any good way to do
this automatically right now...  However, we should at least add the 40-
bit raw hex key option to the dialogs.