Re: Problems on FC3

I just went through the same process on an IBM T42 with a fully updated FC3 and an Intel 2200BG wireless card. I am a novice to CVS. I made some notes about what I did but they are not complete. For a geneal description of current usage, see my article http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml

Here are my rough notes

1. created /root/cvsroot

2. edited /root/.bash_profile
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome
export CVSROOT
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
AC_MACRO_PATH=/root/autoconf_macros
export AC_MACRO_PATH

3. start login shell for root (su -)
cd /root/cvsroot
cvs login
password:  (left blank by hitting enter)
cvs co NetworkManager

4. cd NetworkManager
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

Now the fun begins. You need to look at every line of the output. You may be missing some developement packages. I had a relatively virgin system to start with and I had to install several development packages but I did not keep a list, a mistake.

./autogen.sh produced the following message
Please add the files
 codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
 progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

I created the directory /root/autoconf_macros and copied into that directory all the *.m4 files in /usr/share/aclocal that are mentioned in the above output from ./autogen.sh. If some of the m4 files are missing, then you need to add a development package. Don't worry about adding config.guess and config.sub. They seem to be added automatically.

Now here is the critical step.
cp /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltmain.sh /root/cvsroot/NetworkManager
(make sure you have installed the packages libtool and libtool-libs)

5. Run './autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc' again and look at the output carefully for any errors or files that are missing.

6. make

7. make install

--
Bill Moss