Re: Getting started

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 17:00 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Ok, I tried the obvious places to look. But how does one use NetworkManger
> to setup networking on a laptop running FC3. I downloaded, built and installed
> from CVS.  But where do I go from there?

If you installed via the rpms I believe NM gets added to your init
levels automatically, however I might be wrong.

You should see something like this:

[root rhbw ~]# chkconfig --list NetworkManager
NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

That means you have NM starting up for you on boot.  Otherwise you'll
need to add it to the proper levels.

Next you want to turn off your network devices from trying to activate
on boot.  Change the ONBOOT=yes to ONBOOT=no in your config files
(ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1, ...) in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
directory.   Leave ifcfg-lo alone.

Now when you're logged in to your Desktop run NetworkManagerInfo from
Actions -> Run Application or just launch it from the terminal.

You should get a notification area icon appearing in your tray.

If you're interesting in contributing or just more information it's
available at:
http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/

Cheers,
~ Bryan