Re: Nautilus integration with SELinux

There has been some discussions recently on totally changing the
permissions tab UI. See the mailing list. I think this makes sense, as
the current UI really isn't that great. As part of that we'll probably
have some sort of "advanced" permissions dialog (or page/whatever),
where selinux widgets would probably fit better.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. On a SELinux enabled system, such SElinux widgets are critical to what can and cannot be done to the system. I don't see a justification to leave the Unix DAC controls exposed, but hide the SELinux MAC controls in an "Advanced" page.

I think we want the users to be aware of SELinux and proactively manage it. It would be nice if SELinux would auto-manage itself, without the user needing to do anything, but it just doesn't work that way - it's another permissions system, which does the right thing most of the time, but needs oversight to do the right thing all the time.
Anyway, we're nearing the end of the current release cycle for gnome
2.14, so we're pretty busy with that. Selinux and permission ui redesign
is gonna have to wait a bit.
Sure... I'll make myself a tab and put selinux elements there for the moment (until further comments), and test out get/set functionality of the different components. Later, people can suggest a more appropriate GUI after the freeze.