Re: VNC/XDMCP in network:/// ?

> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 06:33:46PM +0200, J SC wrote:
> > I recommend you Avahi discovery applet (service discovery applet)
> > http://avahi.org/wiki/AdministrativeAvahiApplication#AvahiDiscoveryApplet

I know it, but it is not the same from the user perspective. AFAIK, it
was only developed to test Avahi.

2006/4/5, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>:
> I agree.  I'm fairly sure that Alex will reject this.  In fact,
> there was something similar in the past regarding avahi.
>
> The problem is that we need to find some other way to show services
> that aren't disk/file related.  Essentially, people want nautilus
> to be a presentation manager (eg how it presents data to the user)
> to borrow an OS/2 term. (at least I think it was OS/2 that called it that)

>From user perspective, it is natural to search in the network folder
to get a connection to other computers, even if it is more
service-orientated as file-based.

And I thought that especially in the Unix world exist the paradigm
that everything is a file. My idea was that these services can be
represented as a special file in the network folder with an own
mime-type like application/x-vnc . And the programs tsclient or
gnome-rdp are registered for this mime-type.

That would be more Zen ;-) It can't be more simple than open the
network folder and click on the computer XY to open a vnc session.

> But we don't have that.  Ideas?  We should probably start a thread
> somewhere to deal with this.  I don't think nautilus-list is the
> best place for it.

Hmm, maybe.